Some individuals experience sleep disorder like snoring or sleep apnea, thus, preventing them from getting deep, sound sleep. Snoring is often caused by breathing difficulty while sleeping. Snoring is harmful to your health. Likewise, it disrupts the peace and quiet of your partner. For your snoring prevention in IA, turn to us today at Peosta Dental.
At Peosta Dental, we understand that deep, sound sleep is essential to your overall health and general wellbeing. Our qualified and experienced sleep therapists will provide a suitable and effective solution to your snoring issues. This can range from lifestyle changes to using oral appliances. Whether you are suffering from mild or severe snoring issues, our experts will offer you an effective and lasting solution.
What Causes Snoring?
Snoring is basically a sound resulting from turbulent airflow that causes the tissue of the nose and the throat to vibrate during sleep. This issue is common. While most people snore once in a while, there are many people that snore frequently. The cause of the problem varies among people but the common issue is turbulent airflow that is related to a narrowing at some point in the airways (nose, mouth, or throat).
Different things can result in the narrowing of the airways and the subsequent turbulent airflow during sleep that results in snoring. The different reasons for the narrowing of the airways are the real causes of snoring. Here are the major ones:
- The mouth anatomy – This is the major cause of chronic snoring. People who have low, thick soft palates always have issues of narrow airways. Overweight individuals may also have extra tissues in the back of their throats that may narrow their airways, resulting in frequent snoring. There are also cases of individuals who have elongated uvula (the triangular piece of tissue hanging from the soft palate), which can obstruct airflow and increase vibration that results in snoring.
- Nasal problems – Chronic nasal consumption can always cause snoring.
- Sleep position – Depending on the sleep position of an individual, gravity on the throat may narrow the airway and cause snoring.
- Sleep deprivation – Sleep deprivation can increase throat relaxation and subsequent snoring.
- Alcohol consumption – Alcohol can cause the throat muscles to relax further, leading to obstruction of the airway. This factor is common among people that consume excessive alcohol before bedtime.
How Can I Prevent Snoring?
To prevent snoring, you will have to take care of the root cause of the problem. While prevention can be as simple as avoiding some substances, some people may have to go extra miles like correcting structural problems in their nose. Here are the major ways you can prevent snoring:
- Use dental mouthpieces called oral appliances
- Use a CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure)
- Wear palatal implants
- Use nasal strips
- Get uvulopalatopharyngoplasty (UPPP)
- Radiofrequency tissue ablation (somnoplasty)
- Treat nasal problems
- Lose weight
- Limit or avoid alcohol before bedtime
- Stop smoking
- Minimize the use of sedatives
- Get enough sleep
- Sleep on your side.
Schedule an Appointment Today!
Do you snore whenever you sleep? Contact us today at Peosta Dental for your snoring prevention in IA. Our specialists will recommend the right treatment for your snoring issue. With this, you will get deep, sound sleep. A wonderful experience awaits you.Snoring Prevention IA
View Larger Map